Why is programming fun? What delights may its practitioner expects as his reward?
- The first is the sheer joy of making things.
- […] Second is the pleasure of making things that are useful to other people.
- […] Third is the fascination of fashioning complex puzzle-like objects of interlocking moving parts and watching them work in subtle cycles, playing out the consequences of principles built in from the beginning.
- […] Fourth is the joy of always learning, which springs from the non repeating nature of the task.
- […] Finally, there is the delight of working in such a tractable medium.
The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure thought-stuff.
Really worth the reading.